Mitt Romney Doubles Down on Broken Economy Rigged for the Wealthy Few
In an effort to revive his floundering campaign, Mitt Romney today unveiled an updated tax plan that includes even more budget-busting, inequality-increasing, non-job-creating tax cuts for the very wealthiest Americans. This updated tax plan panders to a right-wing base that is divorced from economic reality — and math.
Here’s the rundown.
Previous Romney Giveaways to the Wealthy
- Abolishes the estate tax — a tax paid only by the wealthiest one-quarter of one percent of Americans.
- Maintains the special low tax rates on investments put in place by President Bush that disproportionately benefit the wealthy and would otherwise expire at the end of this year. Romney himself takes advantage of these special low rates on a considerable portion of his sizable income.
- Maintains special loopholes for hedge fund and private equity managers — loopholes Romney himself takes advantage of.
- Maintains the Bush marginal tax rates for the wealthy which would otherwise expire at the end of this year.
New Romney Giveaway to the Wealthy
- Cuts tax rates on the wealthiest Americans by another 20 percent below Bush tax rates. Under President Obama, the wealthiest Americans will pay a top income tax rate of 39.6 percent in 2013; under Romney, they would pay just 28 percent.
- Jobs: Mitt Romney promises his expansion of the Bush tax cuts will create jobs; however, the Bush tax cuts resulted in the weakest job growth in decades. There’s no reason to think that cutting taxes on the wealthy even more will result in a different outcome.
- Deficits: The Romney campaign promises that his massive new tax cuts “do not expand deficits” because of “stronger economic growth and reductions in spending.” The Heritage Foundation promised the exact same thing about the Bush tax cuts in 2001, even going so far as to claim that the federal debt would be paid off by 2010.
- Romney’s proposed tax cut would cost FOUR TIMES MORE than the Bush tax cuts.
- According to the Center for American Progress Action Fund’s Michael Linden, Romney’s plan would shrink tax revenues by an astounding $10.7 TRILLION over the next ten years and reduce taxes as a share of GDP to a paltry 15 percent. The only way to run the U.S. government on that level of revenue is to run massive deficits and undertake program-ending cuts in Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, and all discretionary programs. Since Romney refuses to make cuts to defense — and indeed has proposed increasing defense spending — the deficits and the cuts would both be all the more massive as a result. All of course done in the name of giving more and larger tax cuts to the wealthiest Americans.
IN ONE SENTENCE: Instead of helping to create an economy that works for everyone, Romney’s tax plan simply quadruples down on a broken economy that is rigged for the benefit of a wealthy few.
Evening Brief: Important Stories That You May Have Missed
Is there a way to oust Bashar al-Assad without military action? Yes.
Chris Christie: Santorum’s 2008 statements about Satan are fair game.
Tucker Carlson: ”Iran deserves to be annihilated.”
The Obama administration has announced health grants to help the transgender population.
An Indiana lawmaker is “standing by his allegations that the Girl Scouts is a radical organization that promotes abortions and homosexuality.”
Other recent Progress Reports
Feb 21, 2012: FIVE Facts About Gas Prices
As Gas Prices Rise, GOP Wants Even More Handouts to Big Oil Though oil demand is at its lowest since 1997, oil prices (and gas prices along with them) are once again on the rise. Analysts are projecting gas prices will top $4 a gallon nationally and perhaps reach record highs later this year. Despite relatively low [...]
Feb 17, 2012: VICTORY: MSNBC Dumps Pat Buchanan
Pat Buchanan’s TEN Most Outrageous Statements Sometimes victory comes quickly and sometimes it takes longer. In the case of Pat Buchanan, there’s been literally years of organizing by progressives — including like Color of Change, Credo, and Media Matters – to draw attention to and hold him accountable for his racist, homophobic, and anti-Semitic statements. Here’s the rundown on his [...]
Feb 16, 2012: No Women Allowed
Sorry, ‘Gals’ This morning, Republicans held a hearing on women’s health care. Here’s the panel they brought in to discuss birth control: And then Foster Friess, Rick Santorum’s money man, went on MSNBC this afternoon and gave some unsolicited advice on contraception to “the gals.” Check out his shocking comments: Foster Friess: I get such a chuckle [...]
Feb 15, 2012: The GOP Candidates’ War On Women’s Health Care
Going After Birth Control is Just the Beginning Conservatives have launched an all-out assault on affordable access to birth control, but their war on women’s health care doesn’t stop at contraception. We’ve compiled a chart showing the extreme positions on women’s health care issues that the four remaining GOP presidential contenders have taken. To a [...]