“More liberal, populist movement
Front page, The Washington Post, December 1, 2013:
The past two years have been scarred by a government shutdown, the sequester, the near default of the US government and a Tea Party Congress blocking everything.
And yet -
In the midst of the wreckage, we’ve helped build a populist movement that the media and the politicians no longer can ignore.
That movement – that you, the Campaign for America’s Future and others are forcing onto the table the changes that the American people want.
Take a look at last year:
- We blocked politicians from cutting one dollar of Social Security and Medicare benefits — and now our champions in Congress are pushing to expand those programs.
- We put economic inequality on the national agenda and drove demands for a higher minimum wage.
- We pushed for investment in jobs and full employment and against job-killing austerity.
- We demanded prosecution of banks and bankers who tanked the economy – and pushed to break up too-big-to-fail financial institutions.
- We stopped Larry Summers from becoming Federal Reserve chairman.
- We challenged job-killing trade agreements and the corporations that wrote them in secret.
In this election year, we need to keep up the fight. We need to support political champions like Senator Elizabeth Warren. We must keep up the fight for the minimum wage and pre-school for every child. We can’t do this without you. We need your energy and we need your help with a donation.
Thanks for all you do,
Roger Hickey & Robert L. Borosage
Co-Directors, Campaign for America’s Future