Earth Day 2012: Mobilize the Earth is now in full-swing! Every day, the movement is inspiring people all over the world to act on behalf of the environment – to send a clear message to world leaders that the world can’t wait.
What will YOU do?
Keep reading for highlights from the last couple of weeks and learn how you can get involved.
In This Issue: Lead an Earth Day Event or Join One Nearby A Billion Acts of Green Reaches Halfway Point MobilizeU Student Movement Gains Momentum Resources for People of Faith
Lead an Earth Day Event or Find One Nearby:People all over the world are already mobilizing for Earth Day 2012. You can start an Earth Day event or join one nearby!
Remember to send us a photo of your action!
Here are some inspiring examples:
- Oman – Oman’s Ministry of Education is mobilizing to hold Earth Day events in 1,043 schools, engaging more than 524,000 students throughout the country. They also published Earth Day Network’s green schools lesson plans on their education portal in Arabic and English.
- Kurdistan, Iraq – The provincial government in Kurdistan is mobilizing to plant five million trees for Earth Day 2012. And Earth Day Network partner “Together” has already planted 400 trees in honor of Earth Day 2012 in Salah Al-Din Province.
- Brisbane, Australia – Divers with Reef Check Australia are mobilizing for Earth Day. They’ll be doing an underwater cleanup of Moreton Bay and working to raise awareness about water pollution and the need for marine conservation.
- Veracruz, Mexico – Tortugas Fundacion Yepez is mobilizing to bring people, NGOs and government officials together in Veracruz for Earth Day to raise awareness about the delicate ecosystem in the area and promote reforestation throughout the region.
- Koung Jor, Thailand – The Branch Foundation is mobilizing to install solar panels in a refugee camp in Thailand of 600 Burmese refugees. It will be the first solar-run refugee camp in the world.
- Norfolk, United Kingdom – Deepdale Farm is mobilizing to bring community members and businesses together on the North Norfolk Coast for Earth Day to learn about sustainability, conservation, eco-friendly living and renewable technologies.
A Billion Acts of Green® Reaches Halfway Point: A Billion Acts of Green, the world’s largest environmental service campaign, recently passed the halfway point! We’ve inspired over 500 million environmental actions from individuals, businesses, governments, and faith-based and civic organizations all over the world in what is being called a global referendum on the environment. Help us make it to a billion for Earth Day!
MobilizeU Student Movement Gains Momentum:MobilizeU is an international movement of student environmental activists organizing for Earth Day 2012. And the international collegiate competition to generate the most acts of green is less than two months away. Dozens of college students from all over the world have already signed up to represent their institutions as regional and school coordinators, and more are coming in every day. Click here to get involved in this exciting youth movement!
Resources for People of Faith: Earth Day Network is proud to introduce its Earth Stewardship Resources for People of Faith webpage. This living-list webpage will provide people of faith with a wide array of resources to help develop projects to green their congregation and community.
- The Earth Day Network Team