Social Security has never added one penny to our deficit or our national debt. It has a $2.8 trillion surplus and can pay out 100% of benefits owed for the next 17 years and approximately 80% of benefits after that. Donald Trump was elected after promising not to cut Social Security, Medicare, or Medicaid. Yet, conservatives in Washington and on Wall Street consistently try to destroy our earned benefits.
Now, Republicans are on the verge of passing a tax scam that―if passed―would add at least $1 trillion to our national debt, just to provide massive tax breaks to wealthy donors and big corporations, and trigger $400 billion in automatic cuts to Medicare over the next decade. And according to Speaker of the House Paul Ryan, they’re just getting warmed up.
Speaker Ryan indicated that the tax plan is just the first step toward making even bigger cuts to Medicare, as well as cutting Medicaid and Social Security:
Paul Ryan: “We’re going to have to get back next year at entitlement reform.”1
No one voted last November to cut our earned benefits! Yet that is exactly what Republicans are preparing to do. And passing their disastrous tax plan―which triggers $400 billion in automatic cuts to Medicare―is the first step.
We can still stop this tax plan and protect the future of Medicare. Democrats are unanimously on our side, and all we need is two more Republican Senators or 11 more Republican Representatives.
The final vote is expected as early as next week. And it’s going to be close!
Thank you for standing up and making our voices heard.
1 Washington Post: Ryan says Republicans to target welfare, Medicare, Medicaid spending in 2018
At Color Of Change, Black Excellence isn’t just an aspiration. Black Excellence is a strategy. With everything we do – every innovation, every campaign – we strive to be both first and best. That’s why Fast Company named us one of the most innovative groups in the world.
And it’s also why we are the country’s largest online racial justice group, with 1.2 million members like you.
Together with you, we’ve achieved some transformative change this year. Take a look…
- We pushed mega-corporations like Visa and MasterCard (and more) to stop processing payments for 60+ White nationalist groups, crippling their funding and their ability to spread hate and violence
- We got Bill O’Reilly fired after years of putting pressure on Fox News
- We raised $944,000 to free 192+ people from the unjust money bail system by organizing National Bailout Days with a powerful Black-led coalition
- We successfully pressured companies like Pepsi and Uber to quit Trump’s Business Council, further delegitimizing his failed Presidency
- We petitioned the National Federation of State High School Associations to lift their discriminatory hijab ban, which targeted Muslim student athletes
- We stood up for 15-year-old Bresha Meadows, who was unfairly detained by the state for defending her family against an abusive father
- We fought for Justice for Gynnya McMillen and shut down the dysfunctional Lincoln Village Detention Center, where Gynnya died while in custody as a result of extreme neglect
- We commissioned the landmark “Race in the Writers’ Room” report, which revealed that only 4.8% of TV writers are Black, leading to stereotypical and toxic representations in media. This report is already changing the conversation across the industry.
Color Of Change is a civil rights group for the 21st century. By leveraging online tools and strategies, we strive to speed up the rate of systemic social change.
But change takes a community. Our 2017 victories and milestones wouldn’t have happened without you signing petitions, advocating on social media, showing up offline, and chipping in your hard-earned money.
In 2018, we want to continue resisting Trump’s racist rhetoric and policies. We want to continue creating real-world change for Black folks and our allies. We want to continue to do the work that truly Makes America Great. But our ability to make ambitious plans is constrained by what we’re able to fundraise this month. If we can raise $300,000 by December 31, we’ll have the resources we need to dream big. Click to contribute $1, or whatever you’re able to, today.
Until justice is real,
Arisha for the entire Color Of Change team